Engineer in China admits to infringing INVISTA’s PTA technology
INVISTA resolves intellectual property lawsuit it initiated in Beijing Intermediate People’s Court
International technology and manufacturing company INVISTA recently resolved a lawsuit against a Chinese engineer for misappropriation and infringement of trade secrets relating to a portion of INVISTA’s purified terephthalic acid (PTA) technology.
INVISTA licenses its proprietary PTA technology to Chinese and other companies, who use it to produce polyester-related products. During one of INVISTA’s technology projects for a Chinese licensee, an employee of a Chinese engineering design company misappropriated some of INVISTA’s proprietary information.
INVISTA took swift action to rectify the issue, filing a lawsuit through the Beijing Intermediate People’s Court against the engineering design company’s now-former employee. The engineering design company cooperated with INVISTA in the case. INVISTA obtained a successful resolution shortly after filing the lawsuit, with the defendant agreeing to a number of requirements, including:
- Expressly acknowledging infringement of INVISTA’s trade secrets
- Agreeing not to work in any job or activity in which he could use or disclose his knowledge of INVISTA’s PTA technology
- Immediately and permanently ceasing any use or disclosure of INVISTA’s PTA technology
- Returning INVISTA’s trade secret materials and disclosing all sources for the materials
- Identifying any individual or entity to whom he disclosed INVISTA’s trade secrets and any individual or entity who he authorized to use or distribute INVISTA's trade secrets
- Notifying all parties that had access to INVISTA's trade secret materials that the materials contain INVISTA’s confidential and proprietary information, and instructing them to cease the use, disclosure or dissemination of the materials
“INVISTA is committed to protecting the interests of its customers and their investments in INVISTA’s technology licenses,” said Mike Pickens, general manager for INVISTA Performance Technologies. “We will continue to take appropriate legal action as necessary—whether in China or elsewhere—to ensure protection of our intellectual property and the value it brings to our customers.”
INVISTA Performance Technologies (IPT) provides the resources and know-how to deliver world-scale technology for licensing to a growing portfolio of technologies in the value chains of polyester (PTA, polymer, fiber, R2R), polyurethane (BDO, PTMEG) and nylon (adipic acid, PA66 polymer, N2O abatement). For more information on license packages, please visit www.ipt.INVISTA.com.